Paper Clay - Slabs and Casting

I'll start by creating a large paper clay slab, since I've had horrible luck with regular clay slabs cracking when fired: 21"Wx14"L x1/2" thick. I'll then be attaching leather-hard cast elements (approx 3") to the leather-hard slab's surface. I'm assuming the casting necessitates using paper clay casting slip, so the shrinkage matches when drying and firing.

Being my first time using the stuff, I'll likely buy it pre-made from Laguna (running too late on this project for trial and error). I didn't see pre-made paper clay slip on their site though, so will likely have to water down their clay and make some (or buy it dry to mix). Will be firing at cone 5, and skip the separate bisque firing, by the sounds of it. Let me know if you've had some experience in this area of constructing w/ paper clay - thanks! BTW, is there a superior brand over another? Am going to Laguna because it's closer.

Edited by Ben xyz
Clarification

I have made paper clay in the past,  but I used dry clay,  Laguna may have a suggestion as to which dry clay to use.   My homemade paper clay spoiled quickly,  premade  paper clay didn't spoil for several months.   I would attach the cast elements as soon as I could, but paper clay is very forgiving.  It also has a high shrinkage rate.     Denice