Slip Casting Techniques

As someone new to slip casting, I'm curious to learn more about mold materials. Beyond plaster, are there other cost-effective options suitable for beginners practicing basic slip casting techniques? If so, are there any specific considerations when choosing alternative mold materials? 

Edited by PhoenixStucco

Plaster has been used for over 1,000 years, can't imagine using anything else.

Moulds need to be solid, yet almost permeable, easy to make and use, and re-cycleable.  Not that many modern users re-cycle, but the ancients must have, else we'd find more.  Plaster can be heated to 180c, crushed and reused over and over.

9 hours ago, Chilly said:

Plaster has been used for over 1,000 years, can't imagine using anything else.

Moulds need to be solid, yet almost permeable, easy to make and use, and re-cycleable.  Not that many modern users re-cycle, but the ancients must have, else we'd find more.  Plaster can be heated to 180c, crushed and reused over and over.

Have you actually recycled pottery plaster molds in this way, Ann?  Or anyone else here?  With as difficult and as costly as it can be to get plaster right now, and keeping it out of our landfills, it might be worth trying.  But would be nice to hear someone chime in who has actually done it and found it still good quality.

41 minutes ago, Hyn Patty said:

Have you actually recycled pottery plaster molds in this way, Ann?  Or anyone else here?  With as difficult and as costly as it can be to get plaster right now, and keeping it out of our landfills, it might be worth trying.  But would be nice to hear someone chime in who has actually done it and found it still good quality.

I'm inclined to doubt it, especially for high-quality/fine-detail  work like yours.

However these articles suggest that it is possible.
https://www.wikihow.com/Recycle-Plaster-of-Paris
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7276351/

Much appreciated, Peter.   I am doubting it as well because as you say, I need super high quality molds that hold detail as long as possible.  But this was the first I'd heard of it and was curious if I had been missing out on something important to know.  The time and labor involved alone would shy me off of it unless I was just quite unable to get fresh pottery plaster.   Thanks!

On 6/18/2024 at 6:26 PM, Hyn Patty said:

No, the thought of all that dust and having to crush it, makes it a commercial / industrial process.  I just know that it is possible.