Impending pit fire - suggested colorants and combustibles

We (several fellow potters and I) are gearing up for a second pit fire, after conducting our first last year.

I'm striving to be more methodical this time, so not only paying attention to what I treat pots with pre-fire, but also trying to do more "planning" on color expectations versus just winging it.

As such, looking for advice from those who have done more than one pit fire experience on colorants that have provided good results, and behave somewhat predictably.

Also curious about materials used for combustion. Last time laid a bed of pine saw dust which burned well, but I think contributed to a lot of unattractive heavy, black markings on pots that were in direct contact with it.  Wondering if a hardwood sawdust would be a better alternative.

Welcome to any suggestions or shared experiences. Thanks!

PitFire_001.jpg

PitFire_002.jpg

PitFire_004.jpg

PitFire_003.jpg

I've used dried seaweed, banana peels and copper carbonate mostly so not a huge help with suggestions. Link below with more suggestions, it is behind a paywall but you can access 3 free articles a month. I copy/pasted the chart and snippet from that link below also. If you use ferric chloride wear protective gear while applying it and obviously avoid fumes from the pit firing.

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/pottery-making-illustrated/pottery-making-illustrated-article/A-Pit-Firing-Color-Palette

ScreenShot2024-05-07at9_29_37AM.png.a3c2e33df5526fe9f769b42493a8ac15.png