Wedging Table Cutting wire and other details

I have never created a topic before so feel free to recommend anything I may do better next time!

I have a couple questions that I don't see addressed in any other videos etc.  1)  First what is the best distance or clearance to put the cutting wire from plaster slab on wedging table?  I want to easily and quickly be able to cut different sizes of clay.  2). My last plaster board starting getting holes in it not sure why and now I am having to make new plaster slab even though 99% of slab is fine.  The 2 holes are in the center of slab. @a). Is there a way to repair holes by mending and filling in with new plaster instead of having to make entire new slab?  3). In the future is there anything I can do when making slab to avoid or reduce this from happening?  4). Is there anything I should do to care for or help maintain smooth plaster slabs?  Any tips are appreciated!  

Hey Paula,

How big is your plaster board and how old is it? 

You can "repair" plaster but I find it only works best with new plaster. Presumably your plaster surface has absorbed a lot of minerals, from wedging lots of clay, and that makes it less friendly to new plaster. If you want to try it simply mix plaster, into a milk like thickness, and pour it into the plaster holes. As soon as it loses its wet sheen use a sharp scraper to level off the surface. Do this procedure a few times until you have a smooth surface. It may not absorb as well as the rest of the slab but at least the holes will be filled.

Also, is it not possible to flip the plaster board and use the other side as a new surface?