Paragon Touch N Fire DTC 800C ERR1 message

I have a Paragon kiln that belonged to my mom. When trying to operate it I do all the steps required to start the firing process and when I start it I got the number 20 on the screen. Every few minutes the number would go down until it got to 17 and then I got an ERR1 message. The kiln never started heating up. Just wanted to know if anyone knows what the problem may be and a possible fix? The kiln is probably pushing 20+ years in age and none of the internal parts have been replaced. 

Sounds like maybe the thermocouple or the thermocouple wire has been installed backwards. Assuming you have the standard type K thermocouple, the yellow wire is positive, red is negative. Make sure everything is connected properly.

When you hit start, is there any clicking from the relays?

I tried starting it again and set the delay to zero when I got to the delay option and still had the same outcome. I’m not sure about an idle temp as I am still trying to figure the thing out. 

1 hour ago, lazyj23 said:

I tried starting it again and set the delay to zero when I got to the delay option and still had the same outcome. I’m not sure about an idle temp as I am still trying to figure the thing out. 

When the kiln is not firing and just sitting ready to be programmed, what temp does it show?

20° C is 68° F. If that number is the temperature and it’s going down when you start the kiln, I agree it seems like the thermocouple is wired backwards. It would naturally error. Perhaps it was replaced and the kiln not used afterwards, so the problem wasn’t apparent until now. Thermocouples are a regularly replaced kiln part. 

Unplug the kiln, switch the two wires and try it again.