Nabetherm Firing Schedule

Hello everyone, 

I just bought my first kiln, Nabetherm Top Loader 190L, and am a bit confused with their programmed firing schedule. From what i have learnt, you bisque fire to cone 04 but it seems like their program has set it to cone 09. I was wondering if anyone can help me look over these programs because i am wondering if i would need to re-program these schedule, and if so, would love advices and recommendations. 

I have plans to fire my pieces to cone 6 for stoneware.

Thank you very much. 

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 3.00.07 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 3.00.20 PM.png

Edited by bont

20 minute hold usually gets you to the next cone. I am not a hold at the top fan it does nothing to tell folks how cones work. I think I would try firing with a cone pack and see where this ends up. Likely próg 02 cone 06 / 08 in about 12 hours so slow bisque designed to burnout organics. Total time and temperature are important for bisque firings. Cone 04/05 fairly popular bisque temperatures.  Program 3 is close to a cone 04 fast glaze, possibly moving into cone 03 with the 20 minute hold. Program 4 appears to be cone 4 / 5 considering the hold and is also a fast glaze.  Program five ends up cone 8/9, again holds usually drive the heat work to the next cone, especially a 20 minute hold. This looks like an as fast as it can go glaze schedule.

While these may work for folks, they really do little to convey heat work which to me is fundamental to fluxed reactions or pottery.

In my experience If you just follow the Orton chart (and instructions)  and the ending speed as advertised in the chart you can hit cones pretty reliably. Once you start adding holds you need cone packs to figure out where it truly is ending up.