Older Cress Kiln Electric Plug vs Wall Receptor

I have an older High Fire Cress kiln with a newer Cress Electric (programable ) 10 key touch pad.

Model: A-22-H

Ser#: 6511

Volts: 230 AC

Amps: 22

I've used it before, but my boss wants to know if he can change out the plug (male) and replace it with a new male plug that would be the same as his female outlet,  (his 220V welder outlet), in his workshop?

His idea is to just replace the plug end not the cord....so I can fire. The pic attached is of the old plug he’d like to replace.

E30BFED0-6155-4C37-8A56-965FF087EB8F.jpeg

Edited by Wendy Hami

Hi @Wendy Hami, welcome to the forum! There are a few things to check on here. First, where are you located? Second, what size breaker does his welder use? Your kiln should be on a  30 amp breaker, 35 at the most. Anything larger than that will not be up to code and won't be safe. Third, what is the voltage and phase of the electrical circuit for the welder- 240 volts or 208 volts, and single or 3 phase (assuming you're in the US)?

1 hour ago, Wendy Hami said:

Hi Neil-

Thank you for your help..

He said its on a 50 amp breaker, and it's 220V. But I looked at the female part it would plug into and it says 50A-250V.

I'm in Horsetown USA...(Norco, CA).

You can put a plug on your kiln that is 50 amps. It won't hurt anything to have a plug that's rated for higher amperage than it will be pulling. That outlet is rated for up to 250 volts and 50 amps. Again, not a problem since your kiln only pulls 22 amps. The problem is that a 50 amp breaker is way too big for that kiln. It doesn't meet code and could cause a dangerous situation if there's a problem with the kiln. A 30 amp breaker is what it needs. Also, 220V doesn't really exist in the US anymore. Electrical services are either 240 volts or 208 volts, and single or 3 phase. Most residential buildings are 240V 1P. Commercial spaces are commonly 208V 3P, but they could be 208V1P or 240V 1P or 3P. So regardless of the amperage situation, it may be that your kiln cannot even run on the the service in your building. Your kiln needs a 240 volt single phase circuit. On a 208V1P circuit it would probably be underpowered if you plan to fire to cone 5/6.

So are you suggesting that he could or cannot change the plug, and use that male outlet to fire up to cone 6? I’m a bit confused. His amp is 50, and he says that outlet is direct into the electrical box. That male outlet says 250v and 50 amp. So I’m lost. … 

1 hour ago, Wendy Hami said:

So are you suggesting that he could or cannot change the plug, and use that male outlet to fire up to cone 6? I’m a bit confused. His amp is 50, and he says that outlet is direct into the electrical box. That male outlet says 250v and 50 amp. So I’m lost. … 

To keep it simple, no, he cannot just change out the plug on the kiln. 50 amps is not the correct size breaker, plus we don't know the voltage of the electrical service in the building. If you want to use the kiln in that building, you first need to find out the voltage of your electrical service. If the service is 240 volts then you can go ahead and have an electrician install a 30 amp circuit for the kiln. If the service in the building is 208 volts, then you may need to change out the element for it to fire to cone 6. You'll have to talk to Cress Kilns about that, though. Either way, the 50 amp circuit is not appropriate for that kiln.