Raw/single glaze firing

RGsandra

hi hi!
I have just received my home kiln and would like to create earthenware jewelry beads. I would like to put into practice a single/raw glaze firing.

I have read on internet that this firing can take from 8 to 12 hours.

Basically, on my kiln safety instructions says to don’t heat the kiln continuously for more than 8 hours. 
I am not sure if I bought the right kiln for my work?Does this firing depends on the dimension of the pieces? Is 8 hours enough for a raw glaze firing?

I am confused. I will appreciate any help

Thank you!!!!

If you can tell people what kind of kiln you have along with what kind of glazes you plan to use, that will make it easier to help you. Earthenware tells us you're working in a range around 1800-1900° F

If you're using glazes, those should have instructions on the container listing a "cone" to fire at. That cone number is related to temperature as well as time, Ultimately, if your kiln doesn't reach temperature, you could sit there three days and the glaze will never melt. 

8 hours ago, RGsandra said:

Basically, on my kiln safety instructions says to don’t heat the kiln continuously for more than 8 hours. 
I am not sure if I bought the right kiln for my work?Does this firing depends on the dimension of the pieces? Is 8 hours enough for a raw glaze firing?

I am confused. I will appreciate any help

I would like to put into practice a single/raw glaze firing.

I am with  @Kelly in AK make, model and top temperature rating info for sure …. And to what cone you expect to fire. Clay and glazes generally don’t fire by how many hours.  Lowfire clay ( cone 04 range) and wares that are relatively small can fire fairly fast without issue.

As far as single fire, your clay will likely determine if it needs a fairly long bisque to remove all organics, else standard glaze firing timeframe may be just fine.

Edited by Bill Kielb