Looking for a cone 6 firing schedule

AmberJade

Hi there,

I am very new to this so apologies for the silly question..

I’m looking for a cone 6 firing schedule, nothing too long preferably.
I’ve been looking all over the internet but not sure which one to pick. I have a woodrow electric kiln (hobby fire jumbo). I am testing a clear glaze and some whites, blues.. some glazes recommend a 20 min soak some don’t. 

I was thinking about trying this one from John Britt but apparently the climb can be too fast for most kilns

66/hr to 104c
204/hr to 1081c
38/hr to 1210c hold 10 mins 

I also have this one -

100/hr to 600c
200hr to 1200c hold 30 mins 

I’m a little lost and would really appreciate any help! :-) 
Thank you! 

My experience, the last 100c of the firing is where the heat work mostly is. If you look at the Orton chart this is specified for different ending speeds. So firing by cone gives a repeatable amount of work and I would argue very important for consistency. Having said that, there are folks who fire by temperature and figure out what works for them. Soaks or holds to me simply add heat work so I am curious to how much.

Having said all that, the firing schedule before the last 100c is not as important to the melt but driven by ware thickness, moisture etc…. 

Some schedules from the Bartlett controller (many many kilns use this controller) and an excerpt of the Orton cone chart. You might find these useful. Sorry the Bartlett is in degrees f for rate, although zJohn Britts may have been as well.

IMG_4084.jpeg

IMG_4083.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

I'd use 60C/hr for the last 100 degrees, and reference the cone chart above to decide what the final temp should be. Prior to that, 150-175C/hr is about all most kilns can keep up with in the higher range. Something like:

1. 60C/hr to 105C, hold as needed to dry out any pieces that were glazed recently and still wet. No hold needed if everything is dry.

2. 175C/hr to 1122C

3. 60C/hr to 1222C. Start without a hold, you can always add a hold if needed to get a little more heat work. If this turns out to be hotter than you need, then drop the numbers to work for cone 5, test that, then add a hold as needed. A 20 minute hold will approximately equal one cone in heat work.

• 1 month later...