Firing Schedules for Cone 04, 6, and 9

MeganFord

Hi All,

I am new to firing and want to ensure I am doing everything correctly.

These are schedules I have read elsewhere, are they too long, too short, or work fine for the intended cone?

Any advice is helpful, I have a Skutt KM 1018.

Thanks!

Cone 04

100oc/hr to 500oc

150oc/hr to 1000oc

60oc/hr to 1064oc

Cone 6

180oc/hr to 1000oc

90oc/hr to 1122oc

60oc/hr to 1222oc

Cone 9

180oc/hr to 1000oc

100oc/hr to 1160oc

60oc/hr to 1260oc

• 2 weeks later...

I ask because I have been troubleshooting an old kiln I bought second hand, it was previously used for glass work so was never used above 800c but after wiring it in we had quite a few problems getting it to temp, we figured out it had its original elements being a nearly 15 year old kiln which was quite impressive but we had to change those out. We kept getting an error code so we put in new relays, one relay was faulty and messed with some wiring so replaced that relay and the wiring and is now finally working 100% after a test fire. So I just want to program the firings just to monitor the timing of everything to ensure it is getting to where it needs to be at certain times. So again advice would be helpful.

Thank you, I was just paranoid about it not working because of all the troubleshooting I went through, but now it is working properly I will use the pre-programmed schedules. I only have to fire to cone 9 once, I know it isn't ideal but when I first started I bought high fire clay without knowing so I have a kiln load full that I need to do but have since been buying mid fire clay so only cone 6 from then onwards.

• 2 months later...