TC2 failure on a controller?

So I have a TC2 error message on my Touch n Fire 2 Kiln control even when it is not connected to the kiln and power cycled. I know the 2nd thermocouple is fine, I pulled the kilns on box control an tightened everything down but the message will not clear and it will not turn on with the message there. Is there any way to clear or reset it?

Here are some thoughts: that error message can mean it’s not connected ( which you confirmed by disconnecting) an open circuit (Defective thermocouple or loose wire), or the leads reversed at the board or the thermocouple holder (check polarity, from thermocouple back to the board)

you can bench test the thermocouple by hooking it to a voltmeter and measuring the millivolt output at a temperature and comparing it to the appropriate chart. In and around room temperature it’s approximately 1 millivolt for common type K and the voltmeter will tell you which lead is positive 

Other tips: the yellow (USA) is positive and non- magnetic, the negative is red (USA) and slightly magnetic.

FA5D1BEB-6019-4173-938F-7BD23F1F8A04.jpeg

0AB59183-C6EA-48CC-BD97-43500680DAA1.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb