Save the Glaze!

Pir

A while back I bungled this beautiful recipe:

Alberta slip 85 / neph sye 5 /wollastonite 10 (This is called "mouse black;" it has 2% cobalt ox and normally calls for Albany; Alberta is much different/better! In this batch I skipped the cobalt and added 10% RiO, as I discovered this produces a very cool black and dark green dynamic.)

While making a 20x batch, I added an extra 0 to my neph sye 100 figure, so: Alberta slip 1700 / neph sye 1000 /wollastonite 200.

So... I essentially made Alberta slip 58.6 / neph sye 34.4 /wollastonite  7

At cone 6, this botched batch melts and produces a pretty dark, flat brown.

I'm thinking about how to do something to it to make it a decent glaze... maybe a cone 10 shino, for instance (that high neph sye looks sort of like other shinos)? (I haven't tested it at cone 10 as it is.)

Any ideas or suggestions as to how I might proceed?

Thanks, Pir

mess up glaze chem.PNG

I'm thinking if the original recipe was Albany 85, Nepheline Syenite 5 and Wollastonite 10 and it fired to cone 6 this would be a slip not a glaze. Would probably be a bit less stiff with Alberta in place of Albany. At ^10 Alberta slip will make a glaze all by itself when fired in reduction, is that how you fire to ^10? If it's in reduction I'm thinking the botched glaze will run like crazy at ^10. Won't be nearly as fluid in oxidation. 

Hi Min,  I fire to cone 6. I guess it is a slip. Aren't there "slip glazes," too? This makes a soft smooth low-gloss, satin-like surface. I'll post pics of it over the weekend.

Besides the amount of clay, are there any differences between a glaze and a slip?

Edited by Pir