2nd dip didn't stick

alitalia

I used 2 different glazes that have had success together in the past. However on this last use when I went to add the 2nd glaze over the first there was a large patch in which it did not stick. The rest of the piece was successfully covered though. 

I decided to rinse off the glaze and start again, but I wonder if you have ideas about what happened. Here are a few notes:

The glaze appeared to be and was dry to the touch (It wasn't fully cured but I was able to handle it).

When I rinsed off the glaze they both came off cleanly (so there wasn't was resist on the patch that didn't cover).

As I was rinsing I did see the 1st glaze was still adhered to the pot, but should I be concerned about contamination of the 2nd glaze at all?

Edited by alitalia

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It's usually best to get the second glaze on as quickly as possible. 

3 hours ago, alitalia said:

but should I be concerned about contamination of the 2nd glaze at all?

Not really understanding this part, are you saving the glazes you rinsed off?

Edited by Min
oops

If you’re worried about the first glaze contaminating the second when you dipped it in the bucket, it’s always a possibility that some can spall off the pot into the bucket. Whether or not it affects your glaze batch will depend on how much came off, how frequently it happens, and if/ how often you add partial batches to your glaze bucket.

So, possible? Yes. Likely? Depends what you’re doing.