I found an alternative to MailChimp

GEP

Since I am an avowed cheapskate when it comes to business expenses, and I was about to hit the limit of MailChimp’s free tier, I’ve been looking for a way to avoid entering the not-free tier. I’m not crazy about Intuit, which recently bought MailChimp, so I’d rather not enrich them if possible. 

I considered several alternative services, and I settled on EmailOctopus (https://emailoctopus.com). It’s a fairly new service, but it works very similarly to MailChimp. Its free tier is more generous (you can have up to 2500 contacts for free, vs. 2000 for MailChimp), and when you enter their not-free tier it is a decent amount cheaper.

I had two mailing lists in MailChimp, and I moved one of them to EmailOctopus. Now I can use MailChimp for free for maybe a few more years. At that point, if I think EmailOctopus has proven to be reliable, I will probably switch to them completely.

Thought this might be helpful to anyone who wants to leave the Chimp, or to those who are getting started with email marketing.

Edited by GEP

Thank you! 

I was doing a bit of a comparison in the spring between email providers, and kind of gave it up at the time, because everyone wanted money. I wanted to start an automated welcome sequence because I’m terrible at emailing regularly, but no one has more than a single automated email as a free option. I notice these guys do though!