Hi everyone. I'm thinking of buying the Speedball Artista Wheel to use at home in a small apartment. I'd like to use it outdoors on a balcony to make small pieces (under 5 pounds). I don't have a place to store my Brent wheel and I still would love a wheel at home. I heard good things about the Speedball Artista wheel and that it used to be made by a company called Creative Industries. I also heard that they used to make a carrying case for the wheel. Can anyone tell me about their experience with this Speedball Artista wheel and whether you have tried the foldable legs. And does anyone have a suggestion for how to store this wheel in a small apartment or know where I can possibly find someone selling an old Creative Industries carrying case. The carrying case seems to be pictured here: https://www.sheffield-pottery.com/product-p/calsf.htm Thank you :)

It's a good little wheel. I've thrown 10 pounds on one without much struggling. You have to put it up against a wall to keep it from moving if you're putting that much clay on it, though. I do work at several schools that have them and they all say they work well. The foldable legs are not as stable as a typical wheel, but they work, especially if you're making small pieces. For storage, just wipe it down and put it wherever it fits. You don't really need the case unless you plan to travel with it.

Thank you Neil. That's great to hear. Have you tried using it outdoors? Do you think it works best on a table vs buying the legs? The legs are pricey but I'm interested in them since it saves me from having to also store a table.

12 minutes ago, Michelle NY said:

Thank you Neil. That's great to hear. Have you tried using it outdoors? Do you think it works best on a table vs buying the legs? The legs are pricey but I'm interested in them since it saves me from having to also store a table.

You can't leave it outdoors. You don't want it to get rained on. You'll have to either move it inside or keep it well covered. The legs will work fine if you don't want to mess with a table.

Archived