Tips for controlling heat using only element on/off switches?

I took a pottery class last fall and it set me on fire!  I picked up a Dickinson manual kiln guesstimated from the 70s (so old its been hard to find any info on this kiln/manufacturer).  It uses a LT-3 Kiln sitter and 220v 26amp.  It has been super fun to restore it!

It has 6 elements, wired in 3 pairs - each pair has an on/off switch.  So once the kiln sitter is set, the kiln heat is controlled using one/more of these 3 switches.  I put a pyrometer in one of the peep holes to monitor the temperature.

Its been tricky to control the heating.  I have to flip a switch on, check temp frequently to monitor heat increase and then turn it off to slow the heating down.   

Anyone have experience using a old kiln with just element on/off switches - with some tips for managing heat this way?

thanks 

Don't worry about it heating evenly as it climbs. It'll all even out in the end. Make sure your work is totally dry before loading, then:

1. Prop lid open an inch or two and turn the bottom switch on for an hour.

2. Close lid, wait 1 hour.

3. Turn on middles switch, wait 1 hour.

4. Turn on top switch till the cone bends and it shuts off.

I used this schedule on my old Evenheat kiln that only had on/off switches and it worked great.

If you want more control, swap out the on/off switches for infinite switches.

FYI, one regular household voltage- 240 volts- the kiln is going to pull a little over 28 amps. Code requires that kilns must be on a breaker that is rated 25% greater than the draw of the kiln, so it should be on a 40 amp breaker, with appropriately sized wires, and have a 40 amp power cord and outlet.

Archived