Brick kiln basics

Hi all,

Very new to pottery but have been handbuilding at home. Thought I'd try to build  a brick kiln and fire some of my practice creations. 

Confused though...can I use a brick kiln filled with sawdust to bisque fire znd then again to glaze or am I putting the greenware in for one firing and hoping to achieve colour at this stage with burnishing or terra sig or something else? 

Thanks

It sounds like you may be thinking of a pit firing, which isn't good for bisque firing because it heats too quickly and unevenly, and doesn't get hot enough for glaze. However pit firing with sawdust is a simple, inexpensive way to fire pots that produces some very nice surfaces. The finished pieces are purely decorative, and you'll have to expect a certain amount of cracking if you're not able to bisque fire them first. To build and fire a kiln that could get hot enough to melt glaze, it would have to be fired with gas or wood, and you can't use regular house bricks to build it. You'll need firebrick, either hard or soft depending on what type of kiln, and a certain amount of kiln building knowledge to make it work.

Archived