Cress ET28 getting an Error 8

Ktribble

I'm assuming this is an E series kiln? Error 8 means that the temp is dropping during the final ramp. I assume you were firing a bisque? If you have a Kiln Sitter in addition to the controller, did the Sitter turn of the kiln? If not, then it could be that a relay died before it reached temp.

What model kiln and controller is it, and what firing schedule were you using?

It is an ET28. I do not think I have a kiln sitter in it. I am fireing bisque cone 03. This is a cress not sure were do I see type of controller. It is a digital. All I see is Master Power Switch on the face plate. How can you check to see if relay is bad?

20220205_182049.jpg

42 minutes ago, Ktribble said:

How can you check to see if relay is bad?

It depends on how your kiln is wired, but in most kilns each relay powers two elements. So if you start up the kiln at full power and then peek inside, you can see if all the elements are glowing. If one element is out then it's probably a problem with that element. If two elements are out then it's probably a bad relay. However first unplug the kiln and open up the control box and check for any obvious problems, like fried wiring connections are melted relays.

What model is your kiln?

12 hours ago, Ktribble said:

Et28 cress 

Sorry I missed that in your previous post. If you look at the wiring diagram for that kiln, the 4 middle elements all run off of one relay, and the very top and very bottom elements run off another relay. So first check the control box for obvious issues like fried wires, loose connections, or melted relays. The start the kiln on full power and wait a few minutes for the elements to glow. If the very top and very bottom element don't glow, then the relay for those elements is dead. If the middle 4 elements don't heat, then the relay for those elements is dead. If a pair of middle elements doesn't heat, then one of that pair has a break in it. Alternatively, you can put a small piece of paper on each element, start the kiln for a few minutes, and see if the paper smolders/burns. Do you have a multi-meter for checking electrical circuits? With that you could check the elements for continuity to see if one is broken.

Archived