Cress FTX-911 Kiln- New Owner

Vanilla45

Hello everyone, my name is Allison and I am the new owner of a Cress FTX-911 Kiln and I wanted to reach out because I am totally new to ceramic firing. I have previous experience with ceramics, shaping and glazing, however I am looking for tips on how to begin firing my own. It is used, rusted, and about to get a good cleaning with vinegar and baking soda (if that won't hurt it) and I was hoping someone had a link to a video or book that could walk me step by step on test firing. I have downloaded a couple manuals I found online and have gone through them a couple times, and I still don't feel 100% sure in what I need to do or where to start. I don't even know if the kiln is functional :wacko: The previous owner gave it to me for free, did not explain anything, and had no idea if its in working condition. If anyone has any resources I would so so appreciate it!

I’m not entirely certain, I’m trying to attach some photos but file size is too big. It has a sitter, a turn wheel, the wheel timer, and maybe one or two more things. The kiln sitter is model K, and the full kiln model in FX-911 P, thank you for assisting!

Edit: it has Firemate on the instruction sticker on the side but there is only one “unit” attached to the side of the kiln. Is the firemate a type of sitter or built in to the sitter?

Archived