Second hand sitter kiln help

crrccrrc

Hello!

I bought a second-hand sitter kiln and I am currently running it for the second time. The first time I used it it fired for around 16 hours and then the weight dropped and the kiln turned off. However, when it had cooled down I found that the mini bar in the kiln sitter had not moved at all, so I don’t know how the weight dropped.

Luckily my bisque ware had fired nicely, and I thought it was maybe a fluke, so I have put a glazing fire on. The same thing happened again, around 16 hours and the weight dropped, turning off the kiln. But checking my witness cones shows no movement on any of them, even the lower number cone, and I was able to put the weight back in place and turn the kiln back on without opening it and moving the kiln sitter.

I am really baffled as to what has gone on and was hoping for some help or advice, please. The kiln is only a small top-loading one and also takes an extremely long time to reach temperature (16 hours the other day only just got it above cone 06) which I am also a bit worried about, but I am a novice so I realise that may be normal.

any help would be much appreciated!

Sounds like maybe the claw isn't holding enough of the weight and it's releasing it. There's a small plate on the weight that can be moved up so more of it is under the claw, forcing the sitter rod to move further before releasing the weight. Hard to say without seeing it, though. There's a calibration tool that can be used to adjust the sitter properly.

The kiln should not take 16 hours to get to cone 06, even if it's a small kiln. What turn-up schedule are you using? Do all the elements glow when it's on high? If not, it may be time to change the elements. What brand and model is the kiln? Post a pic of the serial plate.

Will definitely be getting a calibrator for the sitter as I’m pretty confident the plate needs adjusting.

I thought that was a bit preposterously slow. I don’t use a turn up schedule, not sure what one of those is, I followed the sitter instructions which said to turn it to full.

The Kiln Sitter is a LT-3K, I’m not sure what brand and model the kiln is as I haven’t found any other identification or branding on it. Will get a picture now

Archived