Old kiln worth putting in new elements?

SoapyG

Hello!

A friend of mine has come into the possession of an older Paragon Kiln, SNF-24. It seems to be in good shape but will need new coils which will be around $700, and cannot be returned if there is some other issue with the kiln that we do not know about. We are unaware of the history of the kiln. I'm wondering if theres any way we can test the functionality of the kiln before making this big investment. We have plugged in the kiln and turned it on (it has a kiln sitter), sure enough  only one of the coils gets hot. Anything else I can do to gain confidence that the only thing that it needs are the new coils?

Thanks

As long as the bricks are in good condition then it's generally worth putting in elements. If you have a multi-meter, you can check and see if the switches are working by simply checking for continuity on the inputs and outputs. Other than that about the only thing that might need replacing is wiring, which is pretty cheap. However $700 for a set of elements is pretty pricey, even by today's standards. I'd call Euclids and see if they can make them for you at a better price.

Archived