Best cone 6 Amaco Potter's choice glaze setting?

Goobermouth

Hi there. I'm fairly new to pottery and one thing I always struggle with is the settings on the kiln to make the glazes melt beautifully. I have an L&L kiln and I just use Amaco Potter's Choice glazes. I love to layer them! I use the presetting of the kiln for glaze cone 6 and it does the job but I feel like I can make my own setting to have better results. What would you recommend? I want the glazes to drip/melt together better so maybe the hold time needs to be longer at the end? I guess I'm just looking for tips or a recommended setting example.

If you have not already seen  this, tlen this may help with layering / expected results. https://www.amaco.com/t/glazes-and-underglazes/high-fire/potters-choice#potter-s-choice-layering-279-content
Potters choice is generally a cone 5/6 glaze and in my experience more successful at cone 5 than say 6-61/2. So this brings me to my question, do you fire with witness cones to be sure what cone you are firing to?  Adding holds at peak temperature can help with melt but also often causes issues with pinholing, discoloration etc… so the suggestion is fire with witness cones to have a solid baseline to judge from and attention to glaze thickness and application as detailed in the article above will likely might give you some better layering results.

Archived