Large L and L J236- advice

AngelaB

Hi folks, I am new to the forum and a novice in pottery but want to learn as much as possible and have fun. I’ve recently taken to pottery and find spending time with my wheel to be incredibly therapeutic (I have 2 teenagers. Gah!). I have a small Scutt kiln on order (20 weeks!) and recently found and bought  an old L and L J236 to play with in the meantime( non working order).  I know the easiest thing would be to get someone out to take a look but I’d really like to learn to be more proficient in this area.  My first order of business - up to snuff bricks.  It’s a large kiln, so 4 ring components and most of the bricks are in good condition.  The bottom has some cracking but not all the way through. 

So…. First question- Could I cannibalize the good bricks from one of the sections and just have a 3-section kiln or would it better to try and find replacements (I understand they don’t make that exact kind anymore).  If I did this, it would reduce the amperage as well, right? From 60 down to about 45?  I’m making small pieces now so having a big kiln isnt the goal- I would even be fine with 2 sections- just having something that works to experiment with would be great. (But I’m not sure if the electronic components become a hindrance if you decrease the size of the kiln)

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll answer as best I can- in the meantime- appreciate any feedback or advice,

UPdate:  I just watched a great video on which brick defects need replacing and it looks like I’ve just got stress cracks, yay!  But the other question applies- can I make this kiln smaller without messing things up?

You could make the kiln smaller, using good bricks from the unused sections to make a kiln with all good bricks. You may have to change out all the elements, though, and you'll need to make sure that the wiring and switches can handle the new amperage draw. Although the total amperage will go down, the amperage through each section may increase, depending on how that model is set up.

Archived