Bisque firing thin ware

Dear All,

I have a few student pieces that I can see are pretty darn thin before entering the kiln for their bisque firing on Friday. Let's say they are 1/2 of a 1/4 inch. Very thin. Imagine a one dimensional mask (slab with cut-out eyes and fairly substantial braids on the sides).

My worry is how do you fire thin ware.

My pieces are usually at a minimum 1/4 inch plus. I know this clay body will likely shrink quite a bit. I am expecting some warping.

I wonder if it would be useful to fire these thin pieces on either kiln sand or to prop them up off the shelf with some pieces of scrap cookies that I have already bisqued.

Perhaps I am worrying for nothing and that they pieces will sail through the bisque firing like a dream but does anyone fire thin pieces directly on the kiln shelf without problem?

Know that anything that is fairly substantial or ball-like, I have hollowed and put paper inside to hold the shape. These pieces also have air holes in at least two places for air to escape.

My big worry is not these big pieces but the skinny ones that will be laid to rest flat on the shelf on likely a bed of sand unless I know otherwise.

Nelly

My work is always thin ... a lot thinner than those and there is seldom a problem at bisque temp but often at the higher firing temp. At the higher temp I use wax resist mixed with alumina hydrate on the bottoms so they can move and fire them on a flat tile.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for what sounds like sage words of experience and advice. I will be firing overnight today. I will take your advice and let you know. Thanks for the information.

Nancy

Archived