the kiln is plugged in nothing on display

jkb

scheduled a ramp hold on my 1227 skutt kiln, fired it over night, not sure why but when checked this am there was no display on controller.  checked the fuse it is fine.  what could cause this problem?  could my ramp hold program have been entered incorrectly? the kiln has been working fine for recent firings.   the ramp hold was JBritt E3 slo slo schedule???? waiting for kiln to cool. not sure what temp it reached and will not know the result of the full load.  I have cones in the kiln on each shelf.....  I also just got new shelves and they seem to be a bit thicker than my old shelves.... retaining more heat and perhaps adding heat work to the entire load..... any info or advice is appreciated.  thanks so much for your expertise  this is so frustrating .  Regards Joyce

If there's nothing at all on the display, then either it's not getting power or it's dead. There are a number of possibilities for it not getting power- the breaker in your electrical box could be flipped, the fuse on the kiln itself could be blown, the transformer in the kiln control box could be dead, or any wire in the system may have fried or come loose. Start with the breaker and the kiln fuse and go from there. I have seen the fuse holders on the kiln go bad/get loose. Also check that the ribbon connector on the controller circuit board hasn't come loose, assuming it's not the touch screen controller. You'll see the ribbon connector at the bottom of the controller on the circuit board side, it connects the board to the touchpad. Unplug the kiln and check for any loose wires or fried connections in the control box. If an element or relay connection fried and a wire came loose and grounded out that would blow the breaker.

If it blew a fuse, then you'll need to figure out why.

6 hours ago, neilestrick said:

If there's nothing at all on the display, then either it's not getting power or it's dead. There are a number of possibilities for it not getting power- the breaker in your electrical box could be flipped, the fuse on the kiln itself could be blown, the transformer in the kiln control box could be dead, or any wire in the system may have fried or come loose. Start with the breaker and the kiln fuse and go from there. I have seen the fuse holders on the kiln go bad/get loose. Also check that the ribbon connector on the controller circuit board hasn't come loose, assuming it's not the touch screen controller. You'll see the ribbon connector at the bottom of the controller on the circuit board side, it connects the board to the touchpad. Unplug the kiln and check for any loose wires or fried connections in the control box. If an element or relay connection fried and a wire came loose and grounded out that would blow the breaker.

If it blew a fuse, then you'll need to figure out why.

Neil, thanks for your quick response to my questions.  I appreciate your help.  we have checked the fuse holder and will open the controller box to check ribbon connector etc.  I had the controller box repaired after the kiln was damaged after hurricane Florence.  somehow i think the repaired box is not the same since.  I have had advice from skutt re the ribbon connector etc... who know, anyway I thank you for helping ease my mind that I have logically tried to trouble shoot the problem.  we'll see, I am hoping that the kiln didn't overfire and don't have ware ruined.  Best, Joyce 

Archived