Cone 5/6 Grey Clay Source

Hope everyone had a safe 4th. Cant begin to express how much I enjoy this site and the forums.

I work with unglazed clays in 7 different colors, white, black, brown, butter yellow and 4 different reds. I would like to finish out my pallet with a nice grey. Something between a dove grey to a concrete grey maybe even just a little darker.

I make windchimes strung on Driftwood, White Tail or Mule Deer Antler or a Double Leaf top of my own design. I use both solid colors and then hand marble different color combinations to make the leaves I string on the toppers. So the grey would add another dimension to the work.

I already order from Laguna, Ardvark, IMCO and Archie Bray but havent found a grey yet. I use a cone 5/6 and the body can be smooth or have grit, it is the cone temp that is critical here as it affects the sound produced.

Is there another company out there that might have what I'm looking for? Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

RJ

post-5940-134162254315_thumb.jpg

post-5940-134162263912_thumb.jpg

post-5940-134162279262_thumb.jpg

post-5940-134162254315_thumb.jpg

post-5940-134162263912_thumb.jpg

post-5940-134162279262_thumb.jpg

You could consider adding a stain to a white clay body to make your grey. Check out Mason Stains or U.S. Pigment for body stains.

Bciskepottery,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using pugged clay and have never added colorant to it. Used mason stain mixed with water and sponged on for a mottled look but dont have a clue as to how to add to pugged clay. Any suggestions on amounts of stain to clay and do you just wedge the color in or what?

RJ

You could consider adding a stain to a white clay body to make your grey. Check out Mason Stains or U.S. Pigment for body stains.

Bciskepottery,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using pugged clay and have never added colorant to it. Used mason stain mixed with water and sponged on for a mottled look but dont have a clue as to how to add to pugged clay. Any suggestions on amounts of stain to clay and do you just wedge the color in or what?

RJ

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/2494-how-to-color-clay-using-a-stain/

Chris' website has excellent info and tutorial for coloring clay.

Bciskepottery,

RJ

http://ceramicartsda...-using-a-stain/

Chris' website has excellent info and tutorial for coloring clay.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see this is definately going to be a learning process for me.

RJ

Do you have an aversion to underglazes? They are easier and less time consuming to use. You can find just about every color under the sun and stable to cone 6 and beyond. Please test. Some colors go fugitive at the higher temperatures.

Lucille,

No adversion to underglazes I use them frequently when I do handpainted birdbaths/feeders. Just never used them for coloring large quanityies of clay. I can easily go thru 50 #s or more in a day. So the idea of a precolored clay seemed to be the easiest way to go. I am just venturing into the relm of glazing and coloring clay so have alot to learn. Trial and error are great teachers but at the moment I would like a quick fix. Wouldn't we all. LOL

RJ

Archived