Slip Casting

Hi,

I am doing a lot of slip casting, and have had a couple of problems:
      1 - what is the range of the SG of slip, and how long should  I wait after adjusting with either a deflocculant or other?

2 - in recycling slip is it advisable to mix 50/50 with a new batch?

3 - I am casting mugs and other smaller items easily, but using the same slip for a dinner plate ( commercially made Mold, dry and clean), the slip sticks in some places and tears apart on opening up the mould. I have left it overnight to really firm up, but still it sticks, and seems not to be firm enough to support itself ?

5DB75EE0-3F0E-4E4A-9218-7AC3ACFD1CD6.jpeg

SG of around 1.75 might be okay to start with until you get a feel for the slip.  Get the SG right then adjust the viscosity/fluidity with your defloc. Are you making your own casting slip or buying a commercially made one? I wouldn't mix reclaim and new slip 50:50, more like 25 reclaim 75 new.

Welcome to the forum.

Typically, when you add too much water, the form cracks in the mold. When you add too much deflocculant, the clay remains jello like (thick) for an extended period.  The fact that you say the clay "sticks" suggests there is too much deflocculant in the slip.  

When I add reclaim to a batch I mostly just add water. 

Archived