plant materials ?

rleeq

Lots of wood firing potters use plant material to wrap their pots without a glaze. You can dust pots with wood ashes-USE A DUST MASK.

Grasses have silica in them and make a shiny spot. An orange will leave a bluey tourquiose mark. Some potters wrap pots with salt-soaked rope, or oily rags. Remember, this is for high- fire pottery, in a gas kiln with a chimney. I wouldn't attempt this in an electric kiln without a vent in your basement!

Good luck and have fun.

TJR.

Lots of wood firing potters use plant material to wrap their pots without a glaze. You can dust pots with wood ashes-USE A DUST MASK.

Grasses have silica in them and make a shiny spot. An orange will leave a bluey tourquiose mark. Some potters wrap pots with salt-soaked rope, or oily rags. Remember, this is for high- fire pottery, in a gas kiln with a chimney. I wouldn't attempt this in an electric kiln without a vent in your basement!

Good luck and have fun.

TJR.

I have used dry corn husks on bisque ware to create a shadow. I am not sure why this works but it does something to the clay and creates a darker hue.

Nelly

Good luck and have fun.

TJR.

I have used dry corn husks on bisque ware to create a shadow. I am not sure why this works but it does something to the clay and creates a darker hue.

Nelly

Corn husks have lots of silica in them. If you fired to a higher temp., they would make a shiny area that is glaze like.

TJR.

Good luck and have fun.

TJR.

Nelly

Corn husks have lots of silica in them. If you fired to a higher temp., they would make a shiny area that is glaze like.

TJR.

Dear TJR,

I knew there was something about the husk. Didn't know about the silica. Thus, while the teacher only used them on bisque, could they not also be put on glaze if they contain silica or would you just be creating a goopy mess? Do you know by chance?

Thanks for the chemical information.

Nelly

Archived