Kiln not firing to temperature

Hi,

I new to this forum but am desperatley looking for an answer to why my electric kiln

is only reaching 687 degrees before cutting out and displaying F1 on the controller.

I had set to a bisque firing of 1220. It has been recently refurbished so really shouldnt be a problem

with elements etc. Any ideas ? Thanks

Guest JBaymore

If you are able to give it, a lot more detailed information would help people here to possibly figure this out and make some solid suggestions.

Brand and model of kiln? Type and model of computerized controller? Voltage and amperage rating of the unit from the manufacturer's metal plate (on the kiln somewhere)? What is the actual supply voltage of your electrical supply and the amperage of the breaker it is installed on? Who refurbished it? What do you actually mean by "refurbished"? How long did it remain on and firing?

And so on.........

best,

.............................john

If you are able to give it, a lot more detailed information would help people here to possibly figure this out and make some solid suggestions.

Brand and model of kiln? Type and model of computerized controller? Voltage and amperage rating of the unit from the manufacturer's metal plate (on the kiln somewhere)? What is the actual supply voltage of your electrical supply and the amperage of the breaker it is installed on? Who refurbished it? What do you actually mean by "refurbished"? How long did it remain on and firing?

And so on.........

best,

.............................john

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply,

Ok here goes,

KIln brand - Phoenix( not sure of model)

Controller - Bentrup TC20

Voltage 230

Amperage 25

Supply voltage 230

Amperage of breaker 32

It was refurbished by the company I bought it off, second hand. They replaced the elements and most of the bricks. It had a small crack on one of the lid bricks which I fixed with kiln mortar. There is a small drop of glaze on thethermocouple, but that has been there for a while when it was working fine.

I think it was firing for approx 15 hours before it cut out and displayed F1.

I believe F1 means it hasn't reached temperature. Im begining to think its an electrical fault maybe with the controller and will be getting it looked at tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest any ideas would be very welcome.

Regards, Julia

Hi,

I new to this forum but am desperatley looking for an answer to why my electric kiln

is only reaching 687 degrees before cutting out and displaying F1 on the controller.

I had set to a bisque firing of 1220. It has been recently refurbished so really shouldnt be a problem

with elements etc. Any ideas ? Thanks

I would check the safety lid switch. When the switch is out of adjustment, it can turn off the elements part way through the firing. The switch turns off the elements when the lid is opened. If the lid is slightly out of adjustment, the expansion of the lid can turn off the elements.

If the lid switch is okay, then one or more elements are probably not firing. Perhaps a wire is disconnected or a relay has failed. It is probably something minor.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I think it was firing for approx 15 hours before it cut out and displayed F1.

Another possibility, of course, is low voltage. Measure the voltage under load, which means as the kiln is firing.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Hi, I have a Nabertherm Kiln, and a B130 controller. I also had problems about it not reaching temperature. I know its not the same as yours but this might help!. In my operating manual it said F1 is a fault memory of last error. I had been using the kiln to fire Decals, at a lower temperature than i normally use. So i turned everything off and waited a while then put it back on and re programed it and it worked fine again. It also stated that if the error message re appears inform the manufacturer. Hope this helps. Angi.......Cornwall UK

Hi, I have a Nabertherm Kiln, and a B130 controller. I also had problems about it not reaching temperature. I know its not the same as yours but this might help!. In my operating manual it said F1 is a fault memory of last error. I had been using the kiln to fire Decals, at a lower temperature than i normally use. So i turned everything off and waited a while then put it back on and re programed it and it worked fine again. It also stated that if the error message re appears inform the manufacturer. Hope this helps. Angi.......Cornwall UK

Hi update Im back up and running again. For future ref. one half of the elements were not working because of a problem with the piece, Sorry forgotten technical name, holding them in place at the back of the kiln. Once this was replaced it worked fine.Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Archived