Glaze calculator

Luca Ask

I tried to use the glaze calculator of glazy.org

It is very interesting but I can not understand if it is possible to know the ideal firing cone. For a "normal" not runny glaze.

It seem strange for me that I can not see differences according to different cone firing. Underfiring and overfiring indications.

The "ideal" firing cone of a glaze cannot be "calculated" from a glaze formula. There are too many variables in the eutectics of glaze materials that result in changes to the melting point of different mixtures. When one is familiar with the UMF calculations, it is possible to roughly predict a likely range of temperatures/cones of a particular recipe, but the exact performance of a recipe at a specific cone firing can only be determined through practical testing.

9 hours ago, Dick White said:

The "ideal" firing cone of a glaze cannot be "calculated" from a glaze formula. There are too many variables in the eutectics of glaze materials that result in changes to the melting point of different mixtures. When one is familiar with the UMF calculations, it is possible to roughly predict a likely range of temperatures/cones of a particular recipe, but the exact performance of a recipe at a specific cone firing can only be determined through practical testing.

It's a pity!!!

On 2/28/2021 at 5:46 AM, Luca Ask said:

I tried to use the glaze calculator of glazy.org

It is very interesting but I can not understand if it is possible to know the ideal firing cone. For a "normal" not runny glaze.

It seem strange for me that I can not see differences according to different cone firing. Underfiring and overfiring indications.

try the MELTS software for igneous petrology:
http://melts.ofm-research.org/ 
If you go down that "rabbit hole", be prepared for an totally different vocabulary than the one used by potters.  

LT

Archived