Wood ash from pellet stove

Luca Ask

Is there anyone who uses the ash produced by pellet stoves and has experience on its use?
I'm wondering if there are any problems using this ash: I got the impression that the ash is coarser than the fireplace ash.
Actually the real difference is perhaps that the ash from the pellet stove is fine and fairly homogeneous but has few very thin particles: it seems fine, because there are not big pieces of coal but perhaps the really thin particles are missing because of the forced stove ventilation. Once washed, the ash from the pellet stove is more difficult to filter and remains darker, sometimes almost black. 

Is it possible that this aspect gives problems? Can it be solved in your opinion with some adjustments on the stove?

First photo is wood ash from fireplace

Second photo is from pellet stove

The red and blue effect in the photos is a camera fault.

IMG_20210221_153944_compress52.jpg

IMG_20210221_153842_compress59.jpg

Wood ash of any kind tends to be a really variable material. The people who use it with the most success seem to have access to some kind of consistent supply, or they homogenize a few sources. Or, embrace the vagaries of the materials. There are proponents of both washed and unwashed ash, but you need to screen out the lumps in either case. Be aware that any time you dissolve ash, the solubles in the water will create lye.

I think the only thing you can really do is test it and find out what happens. 

Archived