Use infinite switch in place of 4 step switch Paragon A88B

Algoessailing

According to 

Switch - Infinite Control — ParagonKilns.com

the SW6 is a replacement for the sw4 switch that was in my a 88b kiln and it comes with instructions.  Except the instructions are to convert from a switch I don't have.  The wiring for the original 4 step switches uses combinations for series and parallel circuits between two elements through six connections on the switch (TAAP switch below) ,  the infinity only has four terminals (5500M below).  I'll call Paragon this week, but I was hoping someone here had experience with this conversion so I could fire my kiln this weekend.  Thanks

conversion to Invensys.jpg

conversion.jpg

This might be of use as you work through this  https://paragonweb.com/wp-content/uploads/A82B_A823B_A81B_A88B_AA8B_AA8B3B_WD_PL.pdf

I can see the confusion though. Just speculation:  If this is a 240 v infinite switch then I think you are going to simply connect the two elements in parallel  and trust the turn down on the infinite switch to give you low heat which should be about 22% of full on.  so  the neutral will  likely not be used unless you have a 120v pilot light.

This might help, look at figure seven (the left hand drawing) and see if that makes sense. https://www.proheatinc.com/uploads/5/9/0/2/59024901/inf-wiring.pdf

All speculation though, calling paragon is the best thing, this is just a typical adaptation  common to old dual element stove burners.

It is a bit confusing for sure.

• 8 months later...

Hey Algoessailing, I'm currently having to switch out my switches (lol) to infinite switches in my a88b and I was wondering if you could possibly post a pic of your finished product? 

I called our local kiln tech but they've been busy picking up business from other closed potter shops so I haven't heard back yet (and I too am wanting to fire this weekend haha). 

I have instructions and diagrams but I just wanted to double check my work. 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, Ralphkinds said:

Hey Algoessailing, I'm currently having to switch out my switches (lol) to infinite switches in my a88b and I was wondering if you could possibly post a pic of your finished product? 

I called our local kiln tech but they've been busy picking up business from other closed potter shops so I haven't heard back yet (and I too am wanting to fire this weekend haha). 

I have instructions and diagrams but I just wanted to double check my work. 

Pics of what, specifically?

Archived