Contradictory advice on brushing-on glazes

JRW

Hi folks, I have seen it emphatically stated in credible sources that one should let a coat of brushed glaze “dry completely” before applying a second coat, and elsewhere... that you should never do this because the second coat can cause swelling of the first coat and compromise its adhesion to the clay body, which can lead to glaze faults. I’m having trouble understanding which is the correct approach. Can someone clarify these two seemingly contradictory instructions?  Examples of contradictory info include Britt’s mid-range glazes book, and  the instructions on the glaze bottles themselves. 

I generally apply all coats within a few hours and the results have been fine. But if I were to wait a day in between coats, is that risky? Some places actually advise waiting 24  hours. Very confusing. 

For dipping glazes you should never let them dry completely, because it will often cause problems with the first layer coming loose. Glazes that are modified for brushing have enough hardeners and binders that you can get away with just about any method. At the very least you should wait for it to dry to the touch. Beyond that it probably won't matter how dry it actually gets. Just remember that brushing onto a totally dry surface will take on more glaze than a damp surface.

29 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

For dipping glazes you should never let them dry completely, because it will often cause problems with the first layer coming loose. Glazes that are modified for brushing have enough hardeners and binders that you can get away with just about any method. At the very least you should wait for it to dry to the touch. Beyond that it probably won't matter how dry it actually gets. Just remember that brushing onto a totally dry surface will take on more glaze than a damp surface.

Thanks Neil, that explains it!

Archived