Porcelain firing

ees

I’m curious if anyone has some pointers...I just ‘bisqued’ a large body of porcelain work for a cone 06 bisque, but seems to have gone past bisque (I’ve tried underglaze pencil and wetting and there’s not much absorption)..the pyrometric cone was an 06..and was completely melted (literally melted to the prongs which it sits for the kiln sitter)..could it be that the kiln sitter didn’t shut off and went the hole 8 hours rather than about 6? And would it be possible to try to glaze and fire at cone 6...? It’s an electric kiln which hadn’t been used in awhile..but haven’t had previous problems 

Sounds like it went well beyond cone 06. A bisque fire should be intentionally slow to burn things out effectively so 8:hours would be a bit aggressive anyway, surprised it was not set to more like ten actually.

. When folks inadvertently fire to cone 6 instead of 06 they have the same problem. You will have trouble glazing because the body is fairly tight. Heating them gently before glazing, spraying are options as well as a number of other techniques to try and get some glaze to stick. You likely will be able to glaze but may not get the melt or look you are accustomed to.

Cones are simply glaze about four to five cones higher than their rating. So a cone 6 cone melts very liquid at cone ten. As a wild approximation sounds like you got at least four cones higher.

Yes the sitter should have shut it off, so some service on this Is definitely in order before firing again.

Archived