Advice on clay to use

steveS

Hi I used to throw clay in my art class in India and sculpture. I want to teach my daughter who is 19 and is interested. Please could you advice what clay  I can use here in the US which can be rolled into a slab and then be shaped by hand and then carved when leather hard, Then can be air dried or fired and then glazed. I intend to teach her relief sculpture, make plates or tiles from slab etc. So looking for versatile clay which is workable for sometime and also will not be brittle while air drying(if that is the way to go) 
As I worked with natural clay in India I am totally lost about clays here in the US  and would appreciate any advise.
Thanks and have a wonderful day!
Steven

Hi Neil:) I live in Fort Wayne Indiana, The one place here I found is United Arts which carries clay have not found another but as initially I will be buying just for teaching then if I have to have it shipped the first time that would be fine hopefully will find it at United Arts..  I am thinking Cone 4 or Cone 5 for Glazing. 

Thank you

Just to be clear, you don't mean cone 04 or 05, correct? If you want to do mid-range, you'll want to fire at cone 5 or 6. Cone 4 will be a little cold for most clays and glazes at that temp range. It looks like United Arts carries Amaco clay bodies. I've got zero experience with them, but they have a decent lineup of mid range bodies. I'd pick something that has light grog for students and beginners.

Archived