Firing temperatures in Japanese pottery

Tamas

Hello everyone,

I have been watching some Japanese videos about making kohiki ware lately (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&v=bdwDsUNL0f8) and noticed that they bisque fire to 700  degrees centigrade (which is like cone  018?) and glaze fire to 1230 degrees (cone 6-7) in reduction. Is their clay that different, or is there some other consideration behind this technique? Can organic matter fully burn out with that bisque technique?

Thank you

Tamas

Organic carbon burns out  from approx 150–320°C. Inorganic carbon from clays  burns out from 700–900°C. Sulfur will burn out from 700 - 1150C .  So a bisque of 700C is just starting to burn out the inorganic carbons. The clay could be sintered but it's going to be a very soft bisque. I don't know enough about kohiki ware to know if a 700C bisque is the normal practice. Maybe it's a compromise between raw glazing and bisque firing to higher temps.

I think what’s happening with the really low bisque is that it would actually encourage glaze pinholes which is what I believe helps form the iron halos in the white / porcelain slip that covers the high iron clay.  I could see raw glazing working for this effect also.

Archived