PID-RS Controller

GregP

I'm in the process of installing one of these things on my formerly manual electric kiln but the set up instructions are simply hideous ... does anyone have experience with these things?

Secondly, I'm after firing protocols, both bisc and glaze, for Cone 04 ... can anyone provide me with one?

Many thanks in advance, Greg [Australia] 

8 hours ago, GregP said:

I'm in the process of installing one of these things on my formerly manual electric kiln but the set up instructions are simply hideous ... does anyone have experience with these things?

Secondly, I'm after firing protocols, both bisc and glaze, for Cone 04 ... can anyone provide me with one?

Many thanks in advance, Greg [Australia] 

Pid modules are hard, so use auto tune if possible with some load in the kiln when you do it. PID (proportional, integral, derivative) tuning is an art and matches the thermodynamic properties of the kiln to minimize overshoot and undershoot. Auto tune is your best bet IMO, learning how to do this by hand is pretty complicated.

With respect to firing schedules grab the Bartlett genesis controller manual from the website and start with their medium speed bisque and regular or fast glaze. Bisque is important for temperature and time at various temperatures, glaze not so much.

Not to discourage but there are plenty of things to learn about the how and why of bisque, glaze maturation, and even final segment speed to get your controller to finish at the cone desired. Not rocket science but definitely stuff that will be beneficial as you move forward.

Archived