Uneven Firing in Olympic Electric Kiln

jfox

Hi,

We have an Olympic electric kiln with a kiln sitter. It is fairly large, not sure the exact size, but it has three different sections with 6 elements all together.

The top element recently went out and I replaced it. But since then the kiln has been firing unevenly. We normally fire to cone 6 and the top shelf or two have been over firing and the bottom shelf or two have been under firing. The middle shelves have been coming out pretty good.  

It's my understanding that on Olympic kilns the top and bottom elements fire hotter. Is it possible that the top element is out heating the other elements by too much? Would it help to replace the bottom element as well?

If not, do you have any other ideas that might be the problem?

Follow-up question: Does anyone have any pointers for putting in a new element? Most of the guides I've found assume that the elements are already stretched and crimped, but from what I understand Olympic doesn't stretch or crimp their elements. I got the other one in but it was a hassle. I had originally over stretched it and then had to compress it again. 

Generally all elements are replaced at once since they wear the same. This should return the kiln to its original design, if the elements are reasonably worn (50-100 firings) I would suggest all new. Of course check all your relays etc.. and thermocouple (s) just to put this back in like new firing condition.

Archived