Asking for advice on buying a used kiln (Comet TL 60lt)

Mercedes

Hello!

I am considering buying a used Comet TL 60lt Electric Kiln 3kW (13A) 1200C inc  with a CERA-2 Controller. Do anyone here have any experience with this kind of kiln? I am from Norway, so  I don't really have any knowledge of this brand.  I would be using it for standard clay firing and glazing.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Here is the ad:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/comet-tl-60lt-electric-kiln-3kw-13a-1200c-inc-cera-2-controller/1366340649?fbclid=IwAR2rHXBoDP1qFoem-jyrkoULIEOyMkPa7I-jaZVgB9WR_Ot5a5PM_5mkDfA

Thanks!

Mercedes

5 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

What do you consider to be 'standard clay firing and glazing' ?  That is: what temperature/cone do you plan on firing to ?

Most folks here on the forum recommend that you should select a kiln rated at-least 2 cones above your intended firing range, so you're not pushing it to its limits every time you fire.  The listing says the max temperature on this kiln is ^5.5 - which means you would only be able to use it for low-fire clays & glazes.  (Most mid-range clays and glazes are cone 5-6 - the absolute limit of the kiln.)

Oh. Thats a very good point! Some of the glazes i normally use gets fired at 1200 - 1260 Celsius (2192- 2300 fahrenheit), so I guess I need an oven that can go higher than this one. Thanks a lot!

Archived