Matte Crystalline Glazes

Brandon Franks

Brandon,

yep, there are a lot of crystals, and the crystals are big; 
the high contrast between the crystals and the background makes the background become a very interesting aspect of the art work.  within the constrains of each large crystal the contrast gradients become more subtle and adds intrigue to overall piece.  
The pot is a winner!

LT

re: the technical details of time and temperature are always unique to each firing and the local firing environment.    you will only know by trying several times -- a three degree change may be within the noise range.

3 minutes ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

Brandon,

yep, there are a lot of crystals, and the crystals are big; 
the high contrast between the crystals and the background makes the background become a very interesting aspect of the art work.  within the constrains of each large crystal the contrast gradients become more subtle and adds intrigue to overall piece.  
The pot is a winner!

LT

re: the technical details of time and temperature are always unique to each firing and the local firing environment.    you will only know by trying several times -- a three degree change may be within the noise range.

Thanks so much! 

The other side of the pot has a beautiful molten brownish, beige, silver color the camera can't capture. 

Not too bad for a first try glaze that I wholly altered!

Those three other pots had such little melting that I think the 20^f difference is essential. One of the pots had 0 melt. It could be interesting, too, never fired Crystal to such a high temp, hoping I get some fun results, even if they aren't what I am looking for. My regular firing schedule is cone 9, and with the new temp, I will be about 6 degrees above the desired cone 10 for the final rate/hour. This may, (or may not, because you never know with these crystalline glazes) give me less localized crystal growth. The pieces are also small, so it won't be a loss if something *unfortunate* happens.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow if I remember.

IMG_1310.jpeg

Archived