difference between glazes for brushing & dipping

Ginny C

All these additives confuse me! Is it possible to change a pre-mixed glaze, such as the Potter's Choice ones from Amaco (which I've now learned are designed for brushing) so that they will work for dipping or pouring?? And once I've added whatever I need to for that, can they be changed back?? I bought some SuspendAid for this, but I don't think it makes the glaze dry faster, so I end up having to hold the pot upside down for quite a while before it's stopped running and dripping and can be set down.

Is it right that Gum Solution slows the drying time, for brushing? (And is this a flocculant, deflocculant or something else?)

What happens if you eventually have added some of both things? Have I ruined those??

I prefer to dip or pour, but I don't have enough of some glazes to do that. Why don't the manufacturers make it clearer which glazing technique their glaze is formulated for?? I found a site (bigceramicstore.com/INformation?Mixing Glazes.htm) that says:

"For Amaco, Laguna and Spectrum glazes (other than Nova's), when you purchase them in liquid form (pints, gallons, etc) they are are formulated for brushing. When you purchase them in dry form, they are formulated for dipping, pouring or spraying. Coyote glazes (and Spectrum Nova glazes) are formulated the same whether purchased in liquid or dry form."

And while I've got your attention (?), what can I do about those Amaco pint bottles that catch a lot of glaze in the top part below the rim? I often pour the glaze into a bowl, and I need to get it all out, but some of it sticks there. What a mess. Bad design, it seems to me. The fatter Coyote bottles with straight sides work better!

I guess I need some hints on using prepared glazes. Surely there are times when the same glaze needs to be poured on some pots and brushed on others..or even on different parts of the same pot! What do others do? HELP!

I hope this goes through I am away from my computer so I am typing this on my phone so it may come out a bit wonky.

Amaco has provided a lot of information about the Potter's Choice glazes on their website. Not only do they tell you how to apply it they tell you the kind of brushes to use, the kind of strokes to make, the kind of clay they used, and how many coats to give and how to give it to achieve the same effects they did on the fired samples. Lastly they state to read the individual labels for more information.

Gum solution will make the glaze more brushable; I don't believe gum is either a flocculant or a deflocculant. If you don't have gum available, you can use glycerin from the pharmacy/drug store. These do add to the drying time.

If you need to alter a premixed wet glaze, just do a portion -- the amount you think you'll need -- rather than whole jar/bucket. Keep the altered glaze in a separate jar for future use.

Personally, it would seem that buying dry glazes and mixing for dipping gives you more flexibility; you can always take a cup or two and add gum or other additive for brush work.

Archived