Rusty Kiln and Banding Wheel

Hi there all

I have a question about a rusty banding wheel and kiln. I'm purchasing a second hand kiln and a wheel for around $350, I'm from South Africa so have done the conversion for ease of reference. Some of the metal on the outside of the kiln is a bit rusted (it has been sitting for a while in someone's garage, but it all seems to turn on and work fine). Will this affect the working of the kiln? The inside is perfect, looks like it has barely been used, but the outside does have some rust on the metal joints. Should I purchase this? Again, it all seems in working order so I assume it's fine, I just am worried that it will affect the working of the kiln. It's a top loader, by the way. 

Second question, very similar to the first. The metal wheel part of the wheel (I think it's called the banding wheel) has also gotten rather rusty (The whole thing is covered in what looks like a thin layer of rust). Is it possible for me to get the rust off somehow, and if so, what should I seal it with to prevent it from rusting again? Perhaps some type of paint or sealant, I'm just not very familiar with this sort of thing so thought I should consult the experts! 

Thank you so much in advance, sorry to be a pain, a pottery noob here!

Maja :) x

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Attach a few pictures, maybe a make and model number. The better the pictures inside and out, the more likely you will be to get good suggestions. It’s hard to judge just from the description. Welcome to the forum!

Sure! Will ask the seller for some photos!

2 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Attach a few pictures, maybe a make and model number. The better the pictures inside and out, the more likely you will be to get good suggestions. It’s hard to judge just from the description. Welcome to the forum!

Hi there

This is a picture that was on the listing for the kiln and wheel - I have since seen it all in person and it doesn't look nearly as bad, I think the camera quality and lighting makes it look far worse than in person. I have asked the seller for images of the make and model as well as some more close up shots of the kiln and wheel. I will send those through asap but as I said, the kiln inside is in perfect condition, the outside just looks a bit old and rusty. Same for the wheel, it works perfectly, I just need some advice on maybe sanding it down or painting something over it to get rid of the rust. 

Thanks again so much! Really appreciate the feedback!

pottery equip.jpg

I am not sure of the competitive pricing locally but as to the exterior of the kiln you could remove the rust by sanding, glass bead, some form of mild abrasive and you can purchase high temperature paint that I have used on hoods etc...  They generally will survive 1000-2000 degrees F for some time. Barbecue paint is usually not rated that high in temperature. It will probably not last very long.

On old kilns I will often do the very top band as it becomes discolored with rust and usually  get several years use  out of the finish.

As to the wheel for throwing, that the wheel head is made of steel is interesting. I would say remove the rust as complete as you can and use it in a polished fashion. It will be interesting if this ends up to be steel since Iron has a real effect on clay bodies. I can’t see coating this with anything that will last actually..

others may have better suggestions though

A final note, the electrical in the kiln and actually the wheel would concern me in that I would inspect to see how worn the components are  due to the age of the kiln, and whether it is  possible to get replacement parts. Element availability would be a concern at a minimum.

Thank you so much for your in depth response, I really appreciate it!

I have asked the seller to send me pictures of the make and model, so will research the element availability to see if it is viable. I am not entirely sure how I would inspect the electrical for ware and tare, but I assume to look for anything that looks damaged or excessively worn. 

Again, I really appreciate your assistance - you are such a great help!

Archived