Buncombe White Clay

bunchesca

I just received 25 lbs. of Buncombe White Clay and I have no idea how to fire it. I have an Olympic Kiln that fires to 2350 degrees. It allows you to preset different temperatures for metal, enameling, etc. It also allows you to do many other things. It is a brand new kiln that Cool Tools just got in. It is called the Jewelry Artist Kiln. I am new at this and would appreciate any advice that anyone can provide on how to fire this clay, etc. I am open to suggestions of any kind and I am eager to get started. Thanks in advance for your assistance everyone!

Buncombe White is a Cone 6 white stoneware from Highwater Clay. At Cone 6, shrinkage is 10% and absorbency is 2.2%. The clay body contains 9% fine kyanite -- which helps on thermal shock. I've use it both for hand-building and on the wheel.

Thank you. I am interested in making clay beads and pendants with this clay, but I am not sure how to go about firing it. That is my biggest problem at the moment. Any advice or suggestions as to where I might find assistance would be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day. Cheers!

Archived