STUPID mistake!! Forgot porcelain insulators!!

Hi everyone....can't tell you how many times I've replaced the elements in my old, but  faithful, Skutt K1027 with nary a problem. And yet, this time I forgot to install the porcelain insulators on the lead out wires. (stupid, stupid, stupid, I know) So, the question is, do I need to install new elements?? Luckily, I have spares, but want to know if there are other solutions.

Some advice:  Never try & repair your kiln after you've had a major life event (in my case, a death in the family).  The distraction, for me, anyway, has proven it's better to wait.

Thanks for your help!!!!

Sorry for your loss. It's tough to keep focused after that.

The big problem here is that now that you've hooked up the elements to the feeder wires with Skutt's crimp connectors, you can just take the wires off and slide the porcelain insulators on. We need those insulators to keep the elements from contacting the metal jacket and grounding out, or even just getting close enough that it will arc. The porcelain insulators push slightly into the brick, so they protect the element from both the stainless jacket and the outer baffle. Nothing that you could wrap around the element is going to protect at the jacket where the elements enter the bricks. Your best bet is to cut off the crimp connectors lengthwise with a Dremel tool, careful not to cut the element pigtails, and start over.

Archived