How to get this finish?

jgraff

I love the beads made by Lumina Inspirations and have purchased many for my beaded jewelry. Their web page says the beads are porcelain and fired. I love the look of their beads and would like to make beads with the same finish that they make, but paint my own beads with my own designs. Looking at the beads they are clearly not glazed ceramics. I see Peebo has a line of Porcelaine that you bake on at 150C which would look more like a pen drawing which I assume I could then put a clear coat over and maybe that would come close. But I'm not sure how to get the feel and finish of the beads I want to make. Any suggestions?

See their lovely, luscious beads at https://luminainspirations.com/collections/art?page=1

If they're porcelain, then they're probably glazed and fired. You could get a similar effect using underglazes with a good clear overglaze, or with layered glazes. To get that same glossy depth without firing, you should look at resins or epoxies. You'd still need to make a bead to apply it to, though.

Archived