Glaze on magic mud?

laughlin

I accidentally slathered a newly made mug with magic mud  instead of slip. Will that affect the glaze, or anything else?  (^6 oxidation)   It's a nice surface, actually - was a bit sticky which is what alerted me that I'd got the wrong bucket..

I make magic mud with a bit of soaked paper blended with clay body and magic water (small amounts of sodium silicate and soda ash mixed with water - most of you know of it I'm sure). Used for mending and tricky joins.

Thanks.

Assuming that the slip was applied to an leather hard or bone dry mug: 

I would expect maybe a slight decrease in the surface porosity at, the bisque stage, due to the sodium silicate and soda ash; and a slight increase in the pore size due to the paper fibers; thus overall, little effect on raw glaze application.  Overall the effect should be minor.

If the slip was applied to a bisqued mug I my expectation would depend on the characteristics of glaze to be applied over the slip.  Again, the effects of the paper is to increase porosity of the fired clay along with off-gassing from the paper fibers and the slight increase in the fluxing from the sodium silicate and soda ash.  

Overall, I would have no problem with firing the mug.  I would just make another mug and apply the "correct" slip.  I would also mark the "wrong" mug so that I could carefully evaluate the value of deliberately using paper clay slip instead of the "correct"  slip.  

LT

Archived