Getting Started, I know nothing but want to Learn everything, Advice please! :)

I have always loved this kind of art, and am now able to buy some forms and get started, :)  but I really know nothing, have never taken a class or ever made anything. Please advise me on anything you think I should know.  Is there a only certain mixes that I can use in a ceramic mold? what about concrete? Any and All advice is Very Greatly appreciated! I AM SO GLAD TO FIND THIS WEBSITE! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! :)

7 hours ago, Ahumphrey said:

I have always loved this kind of art, and am now able to buy some forms and get started, :) but I really know nothing, have never taken a class or ever made anything. Please advise me on anything you think I should know.  Is there a only certain mixes that I can use in a ceramic mold? what about concrete? Any and All advice is Very Greatly appreciated! I AM SO GLAD TO FIND THIS WEBSITE! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! :)

Im 20 years in (8 full time, 5 years of school, 2 years of teaching at a university, and many tens of thousands of pots), and still have only learned a drop in the bucket (metaphorically). Take it one (baby) step at a time! Enthusiasm is good, but can get you under water quickly. Get some good books(lark books are good!) on specific processes you want to learn and start there. Take classes where offered, and get a good handle on one process before jumping into the next. Searching the forum, and google for your specific areas of interest are good places to start too. Happy you can explore the wonderful world of ceramics!

Keep in mind love vs expense. Take it slow and make sure it's something worth getting into. Take a class first or hire someone who has a kiln in their garage and tons of experience to give you tips and fire your first work. A lot of folks are disappointed that they can't crank out really nice stuff right away. Research on Youtube about what you want to do, you'll learn a lot quickly that way.

Do not rush out and buy a kiln, wheel, or tons of materials until you know what you're getting into and what kind of ceramics you're into: pouring slip, wheel pottery, handbuilding, etc

Actually I used to do some concrete sculpture also and it has it's merits and a few parallels with ceramics in terms of sculpture and large vessels, (I should revise) it's a lot cheaper when it comes to outlay of cash compared to ceramics. This site doesn't deal with materials other than ceramics however. 

Good luck and welcome :D

Could you take a class to start with? I find clay so different from drawing and painting. Just like paints and charcoal you really need to understand your material that is clay. There are so many little things to know even before you make something that - for me it’s not worth fighting on my own.  Clay as a material can be very frustrating. 

Plus a community is so important.  To learn from.  

As students our text book is called hands in clay.  Maybe a good place to start.  

Another great resource I am looking forward to diving in is clayflicks.  I am so tired of seiving through YouTube (great videos but some awful ones too) or even Vimeo trying to find good videos.  

Archived