Recommended reading

My wife and daughter recently got their own kiln, a Skutt KM1227-3 and are planning to start a business that offers a DIY type service where they buy bisque items such as tiles, plates, mugs, etc and glaze them. While the manual seems to be adequate for operating the kiln if you know what you're doing, there is absolutely no guidance as to the actual use of it. No doubt this is because there are a myriad of operations the kiln can perform. While a forum is great for occasional tips and trouble shooting I don't want to burden it with the basics that (I feel) should be at least head knowledge before jumping in.

Is/are there any books you could recommend for someone just starting out, that would give the basics?

TIA

-d

PS: I may not have all the terms right - my role is muscle and tech support only... :)

I have been studying the new Skutt manual and it is very different from the previous versions of their operating manuals. The new manual makes a presumption of firing skills. There is however lots of information available to you including videos on the Skutt website. The older Skutt operating manuals are more informative for beginners. Here is the link to an older operation manual-

http://www.skutt.com...l-2000_2006.pdf

Also Amaco has an ‘encyclopedia’ that may be helpful however it doesn’t have the listing of the newer glazes but the rest of the information is also very helpful-

http://www.sheffield...ncyclopedia.pdf

I hope this helps.

If you want to set up a 'Color Me Mine' studio, I would recommend contacting the franchise office of ‘Color Me Mine’ for more information. They offer training as part of their start up package.

However, if you want to set up your ‘own’ studio as you have described, where you are purchasing your bisque ware and you just need information on how to fire your electric kiln, then the manufacturer's operations manual and of course other books on the subject of firing electric kilns is the best way to start.

Ceramics classes do not offer firing the electric kiln as a major focus of the class syllabus. And since you are not making clay vessels, finding a class that is specifically geared toward electric kiln firing instruction, is going to be hard to locate. At best, you may be able to find a workshop on the subject. Skutt offers workshops, in different locations across the country on how to fire Skutt Kilns. Check with them for the schedule and locations.

Electric Kiln firing is simple when you follow the kiln manufacturer’s instructions. And if you are ever in need of help call the manufacturer they have the best answers about their products.

Richard Zakin's book Electric Kiln Ceramics has a detailed and mostly complete description of the process of firing an electric kiln. It is one of the main references I use as I've experimented with my kiln, and easily the most complete explaination I've read (aside from his other book, Ceramics:Mastering the Craft). The 3rd edtion (the one I've got) doesn't cover the specifics on programming firing schedules, although it could be drawn from his charts. It doesn't matter to me, because my kiln is manual. Mastering Cone 6 Glazes, a book that has been mentioned many times on this forum, does have some suggestions on electronically programmed firing schedules for cone 6 firings.

My wife and daughter recently got their own kiln, a Skutt KM1227-3 and are planning to start a business that offers a DIY type service where they buy bisque items such as tiles, plates, mugs, etc and glaze them. While the manual seems to be adequate for operating the kiln if you know what you're doing, there is absolutely no guidance as to the actual use of it.

Here is a 48-page manual on firing Paragon ceramic kilns. Most of the information applies to any brand of kiln. You are welcome to download the manual.

http://www.paragonwe...c_Kiln_Inst.pdf

Your wife and daughter might also consider joining CCSA (Contempoary Ceramic Studios Association).

http://www.ccsaonline.com/

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Archived