Paper Clay Bisque Firing -Help

Hi All,

Would firing stoneware paper clay to 759'C be enough for the bisque firing? The last time I checked the temperature it was 759'C. Then we had an electric blackout in the neighborhood. I don't want to fire the oven again and waste so much energy. Thus: Will it be enough for a bisque firing? The pieces will be glazed at 1180'C. It's not pieces that will be used to eat / drink / plant. 

Thank you, I highly appreciate your feedback. 

Best, 

Carina

Since that would only be about cone 017 and you are using stoneware paperclay if it was me I would rebisque. (stoneware itself has more impurities to burn out than porcelain) I can appreciate that don't want to waste energy but using my logic if you have pinholes or blisters in the finished pieces because the impurities didn't burn out in the bisque and you land up tossing the lot that would be a far greater waste. 

Welcome to the forum :)

Came back to add a thought I should have added in my first post, another reason to rebisque is  your clay is going to be extremely porous at 017 so getting the same thickness of glaze on your pots as with your regular bisque cone would be an issue to.

Archived