Commercial glaze on red clay

I thought I'd maybe try a commercial ^6 glaze on a big stoneware bowl,  but I'm currently working with a red clay and 99% of the online photos are showing results on a white clay body. I know I could slip it white before glazing, but has anyone had especially good results with a glaze/glaze combo on red clays?  I've encountered some warnings re bad color and texture surprises, but not many ideas. This one (Highwater Red Rock) has manganese specks as well, just to complicate matters. Test tiles with commercial glazes is a pricey gambit!    Dunno what I want to do with this surface, all ideas welcome. Thanks!

Hi,

I am UK based. I generally use a buff clay ( C108) but occasionally use Terracotta. I have used the same glazes on terracotta and yes there is a remarkable difference in colour if no under glaze or slip used. The brighter colors tend to be more muted but has interesting results.  If you are not sure about glazing the piece in question then I would make a smaller version and test glaze  this piece, this would be OK if time is not an issue. 

The picture is of one of my hand built tea light holders, Nagar The MuzzleNozzler,  she was glazed with Terracolor Blue grass over laid with Dunlop Envision glaze- Down Right White. The base was Terracolor  Tigers eye satin. You can see that the blue grass has been muted by the terracotta clay as this would be a much greeny blue colour.  

RESIZED.jpg

Archived